Artificial Intelligence Research for Society
This group is part of the research group GIAP at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and the Center for Artificial Intelligence Research and Education CINFONIA, Universidad de los Andes, Colombia. Our research interests are focused on theoretical and applied developments in artificial intelligence that address challenges with social impact.
Luis Felipe Giraldo Trujillo
lf.giraldo404 [at] uniandes [dot] edu [dot] co
We list some projects and opportunities for students at undergraduate, master, and PhD levels to conduct relevant research. If you are interested in getting involved in any of these projects or want to propose new ones, please, feel free to contact us at lf.giraldo404[at]uniandes[dot]edu[dot]co .
We gratefully acknowledge ongoing and past financial support from:
Based on concepts in machine learning, IoT, and dynamical systems theory, we develop systems to process and analyze information from different sources that lead to “intelligent” decision making. Our research is focused on addressing challenges with social impact. Ongoing applications include:
· Renewable energy
· Agriculture and pisciculture
· Water and air pollution analysis
· Cooperation in human communities
· Nanotechnology and material design
· Distributed and resilient learning of pattern recognition systems
· Resiliency in structural control
Luis Felipe Giraldo Trujillo
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Universidad de los Andes, Colombia
Graduate students and researchers
Gabriel Narvaez (PhD student)
Andrés Jiménez (PhD student)
Daniel Medina (PhD Student)
Juan David Medina (MSc student)
Jonathan Roncancio (MSc student)
Camilo Andrés Guillén (MSc student)
Nicolás López (MSc student)
Alejandro Arias (MSc student)
Manuel Sebastián Ríos (MSc student)
Gilberto José Díaz (Researcher)
Andrés Felipe Zambrano (Researcher)
Juan Felipe Palacios
Past graduate students
Catalina Albornoz (Now at IBM)
Gabriel Narvaez (Now PhD student at Uniandes, Colombia)
Alvaro Javier Florez (Now PhD student at KU Leuven, Belgium)
María Angélica Arroyo (Now at Lockheed Martin, USA)
Gilberto José Díaz (PhD student at University of California at Santa Barbara)
Andrés Felipe Zambrano (Now researcher at Uniandes, Colombia)
Jesús Gabriel Ángel (Now at Bizagi)
Abel Felipe Zambrano (Now at Novaflex)
Anonymous comments and ratings by the students on these courses and the instructor can be seen at losestudiantes.co .
Recent conference and preprint publications
· MA Arroyo and LF Giraldo. Data-driven Outer-Loop Control Using Deep Reinforcement Learning for Trajectory Tracking. IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA) 2021.
· D Gomez, N Quijano, LF Giraldo. Concept Learning in Deep Reinforcement Learning. arXiv preprint, 2020.
· AJ Florez, LF Giraldo. Model Predictive Control and Structural Sparsity. In IEEE Colombian Conference on Automatic Control, Colombia, 2019.
· CD López, LF Giraldo. Optimization of Energy and Water Consumption on Crop Irrigation using UAVs via Path Design. In IEEE Colombian Conference on Automatic Control, Colombia, 2019.
· G Díaz-García, L Burbano, N Quijano, LF Giraldo. Distributed MPC and Potential Game Controller for Consensus in Multiple Differential-Drive Robots. In IEEE Colombian Conference on Automatic Control, Colombia, 2019.
· JD Clapp, KM Passino, LF Giraldo, D Ruderman. Developing a Collaborative Systems Dynamics Model of Drinking Events: Finding a Common Language. Book chapter in Innovations in Collaborative Modeling, Michigan State University Press. June 2020.
· AJ Florez, LF Giraldo, M Gutierrez-Soto, F Zuñiga. Structural Sparsity in Control Design of Active and Semi-active Systems. Structural Control and Health Monitoring. 2021.
· J Martinez-Piazuelo, G Diaz-Garcia, N Quijano, LF Giraldo. Distributed Formation Control of Mobile Robots using Discrete-time Distributed Population Dynamics. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 2020.
· G Narváez, LF Giraldo, M Bressan, A Pantoja. Machine Learning for Site-adaptation and Solar Radiation Forecasting. Renewable Energy. 2020.
· AF Zambrano, G Díaz, S Ramirez, LF Giraldo, H Gonzalez-Villasanti, MT Perdomo, ID Hernández, JM Godoy. Donation Networks in Underprivileged Communities. IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems. 2020.
· JF Gaviria, A Escalante-Perez, JC Castiblanco, N Vergara, V Parra-Garces, JD Serrano, AF Zambrano, LF Giraldo. Deep Learning-based portable Device for Audio Distress Signal Recognition in Urban Areas. Applied Sciences: Intelligent Speech and Acoustic Signal Processing. Vol. 10, Issue 21, pp 1-12, 2020.
· JP Martínez, D Ochoa, N Quijano, LF Giraldo. A Multi-Critic Reinforcement Learning Method: An Application to Multi-Tank Water Systems. IEEE Access, Vol. 8, pp 173227-173238, 2020.
· A Rico, M Bressan, LF Giraldo. Failure Signature Classification in Solar Photovoltaic Plants using RGB images and Convolutional Neural Networks. Renewable Energy. Vol. 162, pp 249-256, 2020.
· AF Zambrano, LF Giraldo. Solar Irradiance Forecasting Models without On-Site Training Measurements. Renewable Energy, Vol. 152, pp 557-566, 2020.
· AJ Florez, LF Giraldo. Structural Sparsity in Networked Control Systems. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 2018.
· JD Clapp, D Ruderman, H Gonzalez, LF Giraldo, KM Passino, M. Reed, I Fernandes. A System Dynamics Model of Drinking Events: Multi-Level Ecological Approach. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Vol. 35, Issue 3, pp 265-281, 2018.
· H Gonzalez, LF Giraldo, KM Passino. Feedback Control Engineering for Cooperative Community Development. IEEE Control Systems Magazine. Vol. 38, Issue 3, pp 87-101, 2018.
· LF Giraldo, KM Passino, JD Clapp, D Ruderman. Dynamics of Metabolism and Decision Making During Alcohol Consumption. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol 47, Issue 11, pp 3955-3966, 2017.
· LF Giraldo, KM Passino. Dynamics of Cooperation in a Task Completion Social Dilemma. PLoS ONE, e0170604, 2017.
· LF Giraldo, KM Passino, JD Clapp. Modeling and Analysis of Group Dynamics in Alcohol-Consumption Environments. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol 47, Issue 1, pp 165 - 176, 2017.
· LF Giraldo, KM Passino. Dynamic Task Performance, Cohesion, and Communications in Human Groups. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol 46, Issue 10, pp 2207 - 2219, 2016.
· LF Giraldo, F Lozano, N Quijano. Foraging Theory for Dimensionality Reduction of Clustered Data. Machine Learning, Vol. 82, Issue 1, pp 71 - 90. 2011.
· LF Giraldo, E Delgado, JC Riaño, G Castellanos. Selección de características usando modelo híbrido basado en algoritmos genéticos. Revista Ingeniería e Investigación. Vol. 26, Issue 3, pp 113 -119. 2006.
· LF Giraldo, E Delgado, G Castellanos. Cinemática Inversa de un Brazo Robot utilizando Algoritmos Genéticos. Revista Avances en Sistemas e Informática. Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp 29 - 34, 2006.